Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Fierce Shirt-Dress by Thomas Kurilla!

I met some truly kind, talented and interesting people while in New York over the past 5 months, who made my experience there sooo fun, inspiring and extremely productive! The majority of people in my classes were humble, kind-hearted people looking for a career change to stimulate their life, and had taken the leap into fashion - I have so much respect for all of them.


Thank you Thomas Kurilla for putting a smile on my face every draping class and allowing me to feature your beautiful yellow shirt dress in my summer collection. It was one of the hottest and most popular designs on the runway :) I still can't believe this is one of the first garments you've ever made, it really is impeccable and fierce!






With some much appreciated help from my good friend Karolina Podlesna - a banker turned fashionista, my latest collection is the first collection that I put together all on my own, without Mamma Aitken having to do my sewing. It is a huge accomplishment for me, considering I despised sewing machines and the thought of having to use one 6 months ago! I would never have been able to do it if it wasn't for my Draping professor at FIT - Karen Rippy, who made me realize how important it is to find enjoyment in the construction process and that it can actually be pretty easy if done with patience.... and lots and lots of practice!



Here is the garment that I made for our Term Project in Draping I. Our class decided on a color theme and we had to include princess line bodice, gored (panelled skirt) with a flare, sleeves, collar and button extension. It was amazing to see what all of my classmates came up with - so much talent! This dress is made with silk cotton, 100% cotton and linen.





Both of these garments will be for sale in the color of your choice by order throughout the summer. To place an order you can email me at ashley@elleteefashion.com or come and visit me at the Moonlight Bazaar every 1st and 3rd Thursday evening of the month at Moon Night Club!

No comments:

Post a Comment